It took me a while to learn that when my children were little I needed to be home as much as possible. I liked being out and about most days as it was my nature and habit but I soon realized that little children (infants included) thrive on being home. They need routine and the security of home. Dragging my children out of the house every day from place to place only created chaos. Babies and children need the habit of good naps in the same place every day to establish healthy sleep habits. Taking them out of the house every day is over stimulating for their little bodies and minds. Once I learned that being home was best life became more peaceful and my children became much happier. I purposed to only leave the house twice a week if I had to which included my grocery shopping, errands, and play dates. Only 2 times during the work week was my rule. As a family, on the weekends there was already church on Sunday, errands to run as a family or other commitments to attend so we were out plenty as it was each week.
Being disciplined in this area (as much of an adjustment as it was for me to be home almost every day) came in handy when it was time to do potty training. I realized that I needed to be home as much as possible when we potty trained as well. It also became a beneficial discipline when I began homeschooling.
Being home more actually brought myself more freedom. At first it felt restricting because I was not a homebody and I thrived on social contact. But over time I adjusted and benefited from the peace that being home brought. Suddenly there were other benefits that I didn't realize. Like how much better in control of my house I was....the house stayed cleaner, I was more organized, meals were prepared on time more often, my husband came home to happy well rested children, a clean and welcoming home, a hot meal ready, and a happy wife who was also more rested and organized. I was free to enjoy doing what I was called to do....I was free to care for my children, free to keep my house clean, free to prepare healthy meals, free to play with and enjoy my children, free to rest, free to stay home and enjoy being a wife and mom. By allowing me to be a stay-at-home mom, my husband gave me the greatest gift which is to enjoy fulfilling my role as wife and mother in a Biblical fashion. Enjoying it to the fullest and disciplining myself in my role became my joy and peace.
Being home provides the opportunity to be organized and disciplined with caring for my home and my children. I still have the choice to be home and be lazy or be home and be disciplined. Being home merely provides the means.
Now, I am a homebody. I love being home and truly hate when I have to leave for the day to run errands or grocery shop. The best spent day for me is a day spent home soaking up my children's youth, preparing my home daily for my family and making a home that welcomes my husband back each day from the strains of life.
12.13.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hi There! I can't remember exactly how I landed here, but I was browsing for ideas on my home management binder. Then I started thinking about my cleaning schedule and just started browsing around here. I love you blog and I was wondering if you have a specific cleaning schedule that you follow or if you clean on the fly?
Hi Klutzymama,
I'm glad you found my blog. =0) I have worked off of cleaning schedules during several seasons of my life as mom, but at the moment I'm in a bit of a survival mode because we are moving and I'm cleaning other people's homes since my husband is out of work without any unemployment. I do hope to get back into a routine though once we move and get our lives settled again.
In the meantime, feel free to check out this post that I wrote over on my cooking blog. (I've learned a lot about scheduled cleaning from www.flylady.com.)
Here is the post:
http://whatscooking4us.blogspot.com/2009/02/organized-cleaning.html
Hope you visit my blog again!
Hope Chest of Wisdom
What's Cooking
The Things We Do
Legacy Prayer Journals
Post a Comment