I've had a lot of random baby-care thoughts running through my head lately. It's amazing how much I've already forgotten though. I hope that we will get to do foster care some day and if we do, I know that all the forgotten things will come rushing back to me. I want to jot down a few here now though to get them out of my head. I hope these are helpful to you Emilee.
Keep your baby covered. I often see newborns and young infants out in public with their parents during the winter season without being properly covered. It just pains me when I see this. It's snowing outside and not exactly warm in the grocery store and yet there is this crying infant with bare feet and legs. No blanket to speak of and the careless parent is dressed head to toe in their own warm clothing and they can't figure out why their baby is crying. I feel like saying to them, "why don't you put on some shorts and walk around barefoot today and see how comfortable you are!" What I think is common sense is clearly not common. As a mother you often have to think about your baby's comfort which does take pausing for a moment to think about it. Don't assume that just because you are warm, that your baby is warm. Don't assume that if you feel overheated that your baby feels overheated. If you want a happy, content, and often sleeping baby, you will need to keep socks on your baby, and warm, snugly, and comfortable (preferably cotton) clothing on your baby. Keep your baby wrapped in a blanket and if needed keep a cap covering your baby's head. Even in the summer newborns need to be covered even with lightweight clothing and socks. Feel their feet often to check for coldness. Of course, don't over bundle a baby in the heat of summer. Stay in tune with your baby's body temperature. If your baby is sweating your baby is clearly too warm.
Swaddle your baby. We always called this burrito wrapping because the baby looks like a burrito in the blanket. While it doesn't sound comfortable to us to be wrapped tightly and restrained, it actually is very comforting to an infant. Not long ago, they spent most of their life in a very secure, tight, and warm womb. Flailing around doesn't make an infant feel secure. If your baby is having trouble sleeping or is crying a lot this may be the reason. Have a nurse or other mother show you how to properly wrap your baby. Carrying your baby in a sling or other strapped to your body carrier also brings them comfort.
Don't take your new baby into public. No one can resist a new baby and they will not likely think first of your baby over their own desire to coo over your sweet baby and touch your baby. New babies need to be protected from all the germs out there in their first few months of new life. Church can wait. Outings can be missed. You need to allow yourself to heal and recuperate anyway so stay home with your baby. Don't accept many visitors the first few weeks. Allow your baby to slowly absorb the imperfect world their bodies have been suddenly born into. I've seen women rush to church the first Sunday after giving birth....most likely to show off at their baby's expense. I knew a girl once who in the middle of flu season insisted that she have her baby-shower the week after her baby was born. I was shocked when I arrived at the shower to see that she had brought the newborn baby. He was passed around to every lady there....there were also several small children at the baby shower who were running around playing. Some of them were coughing and had runny noses. When she asked if I wanted to hold her baby I insisted that even though I was perfectly well that I did not feel comfortable holding such a new baby with any germs I might be carrying. She said I was being ridiculous. I cringed inside for this one week old baby that was been cooed over by dirty toddler hands and runny noses and passed around to 30+ women. Not one week later this baby was back into the hospital with a severe case of RSV and fighting for his life. Don't put your own selfish desires above the well-being of your baby. Be wise and be mature for your baby's sake. Take those first few months off to bond with your baby in the warmth and safety of your home. Give your baby the best start on life that you can. There will plenty of time for others to coo over and cuddle your baby. Allow others to run to the store for you and bring you meals.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment