The Bible is full of sex.
That's kind of a shocking statement but it's actually really true. When my children were little and I wanted them to start reading the Bible I had a difficult time figuring out where it was "safe" for them to read. I carefully chose books and passages after I scanned them to make sure that I wouldn't have them reading stories about sex before they were mature enough. I didn't want Bible reading to bring up the topic earlier than I was prepared to have "the talk" with them.
As I scanned the Bible for books they could read I was actually quite shocked at how much sex is in the Bible. Wow. I hadn't looked at it through those eyes before. Even with carefully chosen passages I had to do some explaining....I came up with some vague explanations so that my kids could still read Scriptures. I gave them definitions that I could later expand upon.
Mom, what's a virgin? "a girl who isn't married yet" (in the Biblical sense this is true)
Mom, what's a prostitute? "a woman who is always chasing after men and isn't faithful to have one husband."
Mom, what's an adulterer? "a person who doesn't stay faithful to their own spouse. They flirt with other men/women and don't love just their own spouse. They usually end up divorced."
There have been many questions like these that I have tried to handle with truth and care. I'm not on the bandwagon of explaining reproduction to young children just because I'm worried that other people will tell my children first. Instead I've tried to protect them from being told too soon. I think that's part of my job as a parent...to protect my children not just physically but with information as well. I don't want them to worry about something or think about something longer than they have to before actually being married. Too much information too early can cause unnecessary worry or curiosity.
Oh be careful little eyes where you go.
10.20.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment