9.05.2010

Snuggle

Snuggle your kids. Pull them up on your lap. Rock them. Hug them. Kiss them. Massage their feet. Rub their backs. Tickle their necks. Play with their hair. Rub lotion into their legs, arms, and feet after a bath. Wrap them warm in blankets with socks on and snuggle on the couch. Pull out the sleeper sofa or blow up the air mattress and have cuddle time with popcorn and a movie in the living room. Let them climb into your bed in the morning. Climb into their bed in the morning and cuddle. Always hug hello and always hug goodbye. Shaking hands is for strangers. Kiss goodnight. Have them hug each other goodnight and goodbye.

Develop an affectionate family that has a bond strong enough to give comfort through a knowing hug. You won't regret raising an affectionate child. The human touch is a powerful communicator. When the teen years become trying, when they leave home and face their own adult life challenges, coming back "home" into a parent's embrace can give the assurance that words sometimes can't convey. It's the knowing squeeze of a hand, the crying on a shoulder, the embrace of strong loving arms that say "I'll hold you up when you can't stand up." Cultivate an affection that begins with rocking a newborn, snuggling a toddler, cuddles in bed with a child, a reassuring hug with your teen, foot massages with a young adult child.

Be an affectionate mother. Meet your child's emotional needs and fill their "affection bank" every day with the deposits of compassion. Be a compassionate mother when your toddler tumbles, when your newborn cries for comfort in a cradle, when your little one needs some rocking before bed, or your older child needs some hugs or sofa time.

I'm not talking about rocking your child to sleep every night because you've spoiled them and they can't go to sleep any other way. I'm not talking about creating a sleep environment that makes your infant or child completely dependent on you for sleep. There is a difference. We always worked hard to develop good sleep routines and habits for our children but a healthy bedtime routine (wind down) included lots of snuggle and affection. As a mother I did infant massage on my babies and have kept it up all their lives. They love back rubs and they know how to give a good one back. We have some of the best heart to heart talks when we are snuggling, massaging each others feet, talking in bed on an early morning, or cuddling on the sofa. I will always cherish rocking them every evening before bed....priceless.

Give your children the security of affection.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Snuggling is the best! I have a question for you (kind of related). As a mother to an 8 month old with one coming in May, I am struggling with the practicalities of raising babes. I was not trained to raise babes (my family was education and career focused) so I am always trying to gain wisdom. Do you have any really PRACTICAL advice for raising babes? Like sleeping advice (I am one of those mommas who rocks their baby to sleep and wakes several times to comfort in the night), etc.

I would appreciate any tips you have used in carrying out this high calling.

Stephanie
stephanie.foreman5@gmail.com

Steph

Jen said...

That's a great question Stephanie! I will work on a post about it. It would be a good topic for Emilee in the future. At the moment we are in middle of moving....so give me a little time. In the meantime, I would recommend getting this book "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child" I believe it's on my sidebar list of books. The key is teaching your children good sleep habits and how to sooth themselves back to sleep when they wake up in the night. Training them to go to bed without crying and without waking is a wonderful reward!

Sounds like you are turning out to be a wonderful mother!

Blessings on you and watch for a future post on that topic.

Love,
Jen

Mommy of KraftyGang kids said...

LOVE THIS!