1.06.2010

say "thank you"

When I was a child my mother taught me to say "thank you" 3 times for every gift I received from someone. Most children painfully had to offer up one "thank you" for a gift outside their family but my siblings and I had to find THREE opportunities to say it. You can be sure that my mother watched us and counted waiting to hear our 3 "thank you's". Mom said that this insured that the giver heard us say "thank you" and insured that they knew we were grateful. Not that I was to say "thank you, thank you, thank you" all in one sentence....but rather something like this:

1. "thank you" when given the gift or opening the gift
2. "thank you again for the gift" when we part from our visiting to say goodbye
3. send a thank you card in the mail

That was three times. Depending on the gift it was more appropriate to say "thank you" 3 times before parting instead of sending the "thank you" card. But thank you cards were always encouraged as well. I was always taught to send a "thank you" card and in a timely manner. I've not always been good about sending them in a timely manner but it's never too late to say "thank you".

It's especially important to send thank you cards for bridal shower gifts and wedding gifts. These are expensive gifts that guest often have taken quite a bit of time to pick out for you. Showing gratitude is the least you can do. It's very little trouble you have to go to to send a card considering the blessing you have received by the gifts.

In a world that is selfish and usually ungrateful, you can be a testimony of Christ by your thankfulness. Scripture tells us to have a thankful heart more than once in it's pages. Thankfulness will go against the general flow of society that thinks it deserves everything. Don't be the lazy bride or the selfish child. Be thankful and be sure the givers around you know you are thankful.

No comments: